Friday 11 October 2013

A Finished Girly Girl Quilt

My girly girl quilt is finished!

I put the last stitches on it last night.  I took it to work with me hoping to escape the office for a lunch hour photo shoot on the waterfront, but I ran out of time.  So... to the school playground we went!


I try not to see colours as gender specific.  When I chose clothes or toys for my girl, I try to avoid the pink and purple overload (she does have a lot of pink, most of them gifts or hand-me-downs).  My boys do have pink shirts, and I teach them there are no "boy" colours and "girl" colours. And yet...

Well, there is no mistake that this quilt is a girl quilt.  It is very, very girly.  Almost too sweet for my taste, like a strawberry milkshake with three extra spoons of sugar and whipped cream on top.  All sugar, no spice... 


The backing fabric has been in my stash for about 10 years.  It was meant to be a "skirt" for my cutting table, but it turned out said table looks better naked, so I still have so I still have a few meters of the fabric.  It's pretty traditional, but I think it fits the quilt perfectly. 


I am so glad I went with the striped binding.  I hesitated because I thought it was going to be "too pink" but, who was I kidding?  Resistance was futile...


It was my first time quilting rows of loops like this and it won't be the last.  I love the texture it gives, even before washing the quilt!


This quilt does not have a recipient yet, but I know it's eventually going to make a little girl very happy.  And her mom too... as long as she loves pink.

I am linking up to TGIFF at Quilt Matters and Finish Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts I am off to work on another small quilt.  A boyish quilt this time!




9 comments:

  1. Adorable quilt :). I love your quilting for this quilt :). So simple and looks great :). Looking forward to seeing your boyish quilt :). And thank you kindly Dominique for visiting my blog :).

    Cheers,
    Jenn from Mellycoddle :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful. I love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! Good call on the binding, Dom! The stripe and brightness give a great pop. So glad you linked up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous finish, Dominique! The piecing is perfect and I love the quilting. And the backing and binding are just what the quilt doctor ordered. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cute quilt - even, like you I don't like pink to much. Love the quilting.
    Greetings from Germany
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely very girly! Great finish. I like the quilting - and I spy my favorite Dear Stella!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! I love the loopy quilting. And pink! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty. I love the loops too!
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty and I love patchwork squares, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).