Wednesday 11 December 2013

A Surprise Parcel, and a Pre-Blogging Days Quilt

I came home today to find a parcel at my door.  What could it be?  I have not bought fabric online lately and I wasn't expecting anything else...

Turned out to be my present for my (modest) contribution to American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine.


Even though I am no longer a subscriber, (there is so much inspiration online...) I have always liked APQ and I think they have done a great job of introducing more modern designs in fresh colours along with their more traditional offerings.

I like the quilts they have chosen for this 13th volume of Quilt-Lovers' Favorites (I really am going against my nature here, by omitting the "u" in favourite).  Some of these quilts have a modern, fresh vibe, and others could be considered modern with different prints and colours.

And of course, some of the traditional quilts are just perfect the way they are!  I love a good civil war reproduction every once in a while, and oh, those gorgeous fall colours on the cover quilt...

One of the quilts featured in this book, Center Strips, has actually inspired one of my pre-blogging days quilts.


I had seen this picture a while back in AQQ's newsletter.  It is offered as a free pattern on their website.  Now I know it is a colour alternative for a quilt named Bar Code by designer Lori Mason.

Back then, I was looking for inspiration for a quilt destined to my then 16 year old nephew.  Although I did not follow the pattern, (or actually read it), there is no disputing that this is where this quilt came from.


I have not blogged about this quilt before... I need better pictures! Unfortunately, this quilt lives in a different province, and it may be a while before I get to see it again.  This was taken on a very sunny day and the colours are slightly off.  There are actually 4 different shades of gray (Kona coal, ash, medium gray and something else).  As for the other colours, especially the reds and the purple, they are a bit more subdued in real life. 

I love the quilting (and I wish I had a close up so you could see it).  Organic lines - fancy word for "not straight" - in the centre bars, and overlapping boxes on both sides.  Thread, thread, lots of thread... I had to make a special order of Aurifil in the middle of quilting... 

This was my first time using solids only, and I am very happy with the way it turned out.

Well that is it for now, I'll be back with something Christmas-y next time,

4 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful quilt! It makes me want one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt. Love the quilting and the colours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this quilt, Dominique! But then, you could have guessed it would be right up my alley. Konas and greys... yup. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).