Saturday 3 May 2014

A Yellow Pillow

I have been following the discussion at Molli Sparkles on cost of quilts with great interest.   I don't sell quilts, or have any plans to do so in the future, but it does not mean I don't think about what they are worth.

One thing I had never really thought of, though, was the value of a pillow.  If you have been following me, you know I have made lots and lots of pillows for my kids to give at birthday parties.  You know, instead of buying a $15 gift from Walmart...

I almost fell down from my chair when I read this post and realized I've been giving $75 birthday gifts!

That hasn't stopped me, though, and here is the last one I made:


I purposely did not enquire as to this little girls favourite colours... I did not feel like making a pink and purple one!  I really hope she likes yellow!  It is bright and cheerful and I don't know many little kids who don't love to see their name written on something. 


The back is a print that been In my stash forever.  It makes me smile every time I see it, so it's time to use it to hopefully bring smiles in other people!


I was not too happy with the quilting, for a couple reasons. First, I did not have a good batting scrap the right size on hand so I used flannel instead, and that turned out too flat.  The quilting really did not stand out.  I did a first run with a pale yellow Aurifil thread in 50 wt - my favourite - but you could barely see the quilting.  I changed my thread for a thicker, darker variegated yellow, but it really did not add much.  It was certainly not my best work. 

All this said, my daughter gave it her seal of approval, and I am fairly confident that the young recipient will not be too critical of my quilting.

In other quilting news, my bee block for April was done and mail on time:


and now I am off to make curved improv log cabins for May... wish me luck!


5 comments:

  1. Love the pillow! It made me smile! The yellow is fabulous, I am having a yellow love on right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pillow (as always!), Dominique! I've read the posts on fair pricing, and though I respect the thought that goes into the process and the desire to see creative work fairly compensated, I just don't think we'd ever get anyone in our market to pay the sort of prices that were bandied about. Your pillows are wonderful kid gifts, no matter what price they work out to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful, happy pillow and I bet Cambden will just love it. Love your April block. Just wondering, does it have a name? What a great overall quilt design that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pillow is bright, cheerful and adorable. How could she not, love it. I would. I really like the fabrics and colours you chose for your bee block. Thanks for the link to the curved improv log cabins. I've added them to my very, very long list of "things to try". I can't wait to see how yours turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely gift! I love the bee block for April. That red in the centre is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).