Saturday 20 September 2014

Refashion Saturday: Sweater to Skirt

If you are looking for quilty things, jump to the end for a quilt work-in-progress sneak peak.   Otherwise check out today's re-fashions.
 
This one started innocently enough.  See, I had this old sweater:

Blue and cream stripes... timeless

I still love it.  It's a 100% cotton knit in classic blue and cream stripes, light weight with 3/4 sleeves.  I have worn this a lot, winter, spring, summer or fall (I sound like a James Taylor song).  It actually fits me quite well...

the faded colour makes me look a bit pale...

The problem is, it is starting to show signs of age.  The colour is beginning to fade and the seems are weak on the collar and sleeves.

One of the many signs of wear
 
So, I thought I would turn this into a skirt for my daughter.  Easy peasy.  So I chopped...
 
That took a lot of courage!
 
Then I took in a tiny bit of the width off the top part (in the original sweater, that is where it gets wider just below the sleeves).
 
 
Quick fix
 
I then made a waistband with some stretchy jersey I had on hand:
 

 
I then pinned the sweater-turned-skirt and the waistband so I would have 8 sections of equal length (no pins needed on the sides where there is a seam). 
 
 
I then matched the pins and sewed the waistband to the skirt (I forgot to take a picture of this step).
 
And there you have it... a skirt!  But wait...
 

I left an opening in the back of the waistband so I could run an actual elastic in the waistband to make the waist smaller as this skirt is/was intended for a 4 year old.  But before I run the elastic in it, I thought, perhaps I should try it on just for fun...
 
Wonder if this picture will end up in a Google search somehow
 
Hmmm... not sure I want to give this skirt up just now.  What do you think?  Should I wear this in public?  If I do, I will take a proper picture.
 
Now that my daughter may have been ripped off of a skirt, I have to make it up to her.  Hmmm...  How about this hand-me-down shirt that never fitted right?
 
From ill-fitting shirt...

Using the same method, I whipped that up in less than 10 minutes.  Seriously, people, less than 10 minutes!

To cute skirt!

This could get addictive... 
 
Fear not, it hasn't just been about refashioning in the Running Thimble studio.  I have also used my sewing skills to repair hockey equipment ('tis that time of the year)!  Oh, and yes, a new quilt was started.  Before all the other ones got finished.  I absolutely had no need to make a toddler size quilt, but this bright alphabet flannel was on sale and next thing you know... well, you know how these things go! Here is a sneak peak:
 
 
Hope you are having a fabulous week-end!


6 comments:

  1. Wow! I love both of the refashioned skirts...you need to keep the great blue & cream stripe...it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sure, no time for refashioning! Love this Dominique, I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely wear the new skirt. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you kept the skirt, it looks great on you. It's a great idea and you even manage to make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it! Oui, absolument porte-le en publique!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! Comments! I love reading all the comments and do my best to respond, (though sometimes, life gets in the way).